Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Things I Wish I Knew Before High School..... Part One

Hello pretty people!
    So while I occasionally whip up a fitness advice post, I have yet to do a lifestyle one. And with back to school in the air, I though it was the perfect time to try my hand and this. Enter a high school advice series. I myself am going into my senior year and I couldn't be happier. Not to say that I've had a bad experience, but simply because I'm ready to explore the great big world that is out there waiting for me. But seeings how I've made it to my final year, I thought that I have some knowledge to share on the topic ;)
     You'll notice by the title that this is part one. I plan on making this a 3 part series, just so I don't get too long winded during these posts. This one, I'm going to mainly focus on the academic side of high school, in the second part, I'm hoping to talk about relationships, and the third will be on beauty and fashion. So, let's just jump right on into this.

1. Take the important classes NOW!
     Everyone tells you when you start high school that you can basically just have fun your freshman year. That you have another three years after this one to take the big classes. But I want to strongly advice against that belief. My freshman year I decided that I wanted to take all the big sciences and maths before my senior year, to help lighten the load. With that in mind, I took Biology and Algebra 1 my freshman year, sophomore year I did Chemistry and Algebra 2, and my junior year I took Anatomy and Physiology and College Algebra. Doing these courses early one, allows me to begin PSEO's, which is a program that gives you dual credit for college and high school. Plus I can get it paid for if my SAT scores are high enough. It's pretty sick that I can get my first year of college out of the way before I graduate. It's because I did the big things early on. So, make a plan for yourself, so that you can have a more relaxed and chill experience come senior year. AS far away as that sounds, you'll be thanking yourself later.

2. Study
     This seems like a given, but it's super important! Study the material so that you can ace your tests, and keep up a good GPA. It can be difficult sometimes to find an environment where you can unplug from the rest of the world and dive into your studies, but I find that a quiet room and some headphones can do a world of good. I'm one of the types of studiers that likes to listen to music when I study. Some people recommend classical when your working on math, and pop when your studying English. For me, acoustic music or even some nice folk/bluegrass can do be a world of good. I really like Ben Howard and The Civil Wars. Also I like highlighting important things and writing them down in a notebook, so I can peek back to them from time to time. The information really sticks in your brain if you have to write it down.

3. Don't take yourself too seriously
    By this, I mean keep your options open for the future. I changed what I wanted almost every year, until I found something that I'm actually passionate about. Try new classes and experiment with different field options before settling with. This is a great thing to do when your an underclassman because you have a ton of time.

4. Get enough sleep
    I know that cram sessions can sometimes create great papers, but nothing is going to be better for your mind then getting sleep. I almost got mono one year because I ran on about 4 hours of sleep at night. Talk about being a zombie. So make an attempt to get at least 6 hours everynight. I promise you your body will thank you in the future.

     So those are a few of my pointers about high school. In the end, it's your education to make of it what you want. I hope that you have an amazing first year of high school and that you learn so much during this time frame of life. What are some things you wish you knew, or want to know about? Tell me in the comment section down below, along with any requests, comments, or recommendations. Love ya'll so much!
Grace



No comments:

Post a Comment