Sunday, June 14, 2015

My Workout Routine: Running, Blogilates, Yoga + More!


Hi Everyone!
    In the past I've done a few health and fitness posts, and I want to get back into the habit. Currently I work out roughly 5-6 times a week. For me, I think it's a good amount. My exercise experience has been cultivated over my entire junior high and high school career, and I've learned a fair share about working out in a healthy way. Being a young teen age girl, on all social media platforms, I find myself bombarded with "ideal" bodies and it can be quite easy to begin comparing yourself to them. PLEASE! Don't. The only thing that you should be working towards, is a healthy you, whether that's smaller or more muscular or anywhere in between. The way I like to look at it is that working out is adding to my life; it is not the main focus. I'd much rather be kind and work on my relationships, then to spend all my time focusing on the outward appearance of my body.
    During my younger years, I participated in gymnastics which cultivated a want for highly physical exercises, and once I started high school, I needed to refocus. Working out wasn't fun for me. I felt pressured to look a certain way; follow in the ideal body type trends whether it was thigh gaps or flat abs. The thoughts of standards kept me from being able to enjoy and embrace the hard work my body was putting in for me. I hit my sophomore year and decided to change that. After years of feeling forced to workout to be valued, I found a routine that not only makes me feel happy, but fits in nicely with my lifestyle.
    While 5-6 days works for me and makes me feel the best throughout the week, you might need more or less. You really just have to listen to what your body is telling you. If it's telling you it can do more, do more; if you believe it's telling you to slow down, by all means slllllloooooowwwwww ddddoooooowwwwn. Find what works for you and makes YOU feel happy to be alive.
     That being said, what works for me might not work for you, but I encourage you to give it a go! And there is still a lot I'm learning, but that's one of the bonuses of fitness, is that it is a constant learning experience that will really humble you along the way. Please remember to have fun as well! Working out shouldn't be a chore, so don't just make it an item on a to do list to check off for the day.
    So what is this routine that I've been babbling about?

1. Pilates
     If you haven't heard about pilates, it is  system of exercise that uses your own body weight against yourself. I find that it's super effective in sculpting muscles and overall toning. My favorite way to do pilates, is through Blogilates. Blogilates is a pilates community started by upbeat and bubbly Cassey Ho, who is a professional pilates instructor. She has amazing videos on YouTube that are as much fun as they are challenging. I like to use her app which you can get for either Android or Apple. The app itself is free, but for the monthly workout calendar, it's 99 cents, which is definitely worth every penny. There is also a beginners version for those newer to the practice as well.

2. Running
    Okay. I know that running can kinda suck. But I have a deep love for this form of cardio, because I've been running with my oldest sister since I was 10. Over the course of the years, I've ran here and there, but my love really expanded when I did cross country last year. It really taught me how to push myself to a point I didn't think I'd be able to get too. Now I try to run 3-4 days a week outside. During the winter months I ran on a treadmill, but since moving down to mid Ohio with my parents, I've taken it upon myself to run the horrendous hills that surround me. My goal is to get up to 5 miles by the end of the summer, and I have a whole schedule for it, if you'd like to join me in this challenge (tell me in the comments). What helps motivate me is finding an awesome playlist that empowers me and motivates me to not give up. One of the apps I'm currently liking is the RockyMyRun app which is free professional mixes. They have a ton of different genres including, country, pop, reggae, rock, hip hop, and soooo much more! Another thing that gets me going, is the Charity Miles app. For each mile you run, 25 cents is donated to a charity of your choice. So not only are you changing you, but the world around you.

3. Yoga/ Stretching
    It super important to stretch after your workout, and while I've been kind sucking at it lately, I'm determined to get back in the flow of my yoga practice. Some of my favorite ways to stretch out with yoga is through Plumtv and Yoga With Adriene. I love the Plumtv instructors because they have a few great routines that totally open up your body and challenge you. But Yoga With Adriene is my favorite. Adriene has an awesome personality and she really allows you to explore what feels good for your body in her videos, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. I try to stretch out everyday if I remember to.

4. Don't forget a clean diet!
    I know, the word diet causes shudders. There are literally millions out there that claim ridiculous things, so do yourself a favor and remember that clean eating is not a quick fix diet with empty promises and effects that only last for a month; it is a lifestyle. If you want to know more about clean eating, I did a post awhile back, which you can click here to check out. And while I directed the post towards teens, the advice goes for everyone at any age.

    So there it is! I love my routine right now because it doesn't require me to go to the gym and pay a ton for monthly subscriptions. I hope that my routine inspires you to find one of your own, and remember to be happy about your workout. Don't rag on yourself during your workouts, instead think about all that you are doing and accomplishing. As always leave any of your questions and comments in the down bar and I'll get back to it as soon as I can. Love you all so much!
Grace


No comments:

Post a Comment