Sunday, January 12, 2014

Cardio Do's and Don'ts

Hiya!
     Okay so the weekend are cardio days on my workout out schedule and today I had an hour long run/power walk (which for me means i got in about five miles roughly. Maybe more, maybe less) It struck me that a lot of people do cardio wrong, or give cardio a bad rep. Trust me when I say Cardio is essential to any workout routine. A lot of people when they hear this are like "But I don't like running", and I'm all like "There are many different ways to get in your cardio". Here are just a few:

  • Swimming
  • Running (my personal favorite)
  • Tabata
  • Skiing 
  • Snowboarding
  • Gymnastics
  • Dance
  • Zumba
  • Kick Boxing
   Seriously I could go on and on. There are so many different ways to get it in. I recommend iif your a beginner, try 30 mins 3-4 days a week, intermediate 45 mins 4-5 days a week, and all my cardio junkies out there 1 hour or more 5-6 days a week. Don't mistake me though, there are a lot of things you need in your workout routine not just cardio. Strength building is very important as well so don't skimp out on that at all.
     Any lets start those do's and dont's

Dont's

  • Don't stop breathing! I cannot stress how important it is. I mean it keeps you alive (;
  • Don't just do one form of cardio. The cardio world is so broad. Explore each one!!
  • Don't beat yourself up if your a beginner and doing 30 mins is hard for you. We all start at a small point before we get to where we are
  • Don't go too crazy if you skip a cardio day. 
  • Don't bore yourself. If you run, try a horse trail in your park. It's more interesting (not just because you have to dodge horse crap left and right) and its also easier on the joints.
  • Don't forget that each cardio day is a gift.


Do's

  • Do have fun with it. If you find that the cardio your currently doing doesn't make you happy then switch it up a bit and try something different.
  • Do stay hydrated. While you might feel that water will just give you water weight, honey you're completely wrong. When you're doing cardio, staying hydrated is super important.
  • Do have a partner. Sometimes it's harder to do cardio my ourselves because we get bored, so get yourself a buddy to feel more motivated.
  • Do listen to fast, upbeat or techno music. Music really helps to give you a pace to run to and will get you into a rhythm
  • Do stretch afterwards. Your not going to slim down if you don't stretch out your muscles.
  • Do make a routine and stick to it. The first couple weeks it will be hard, but after a little while, you will start to look forward to cardio days.

     Okay so this is a rather short post, but I thought you guys might like it. I really want to encourage ya'll to get into cardio. It boosts your metabolism, mood, and it gets you into crazy good shape. Like I said in the beginning, don't think that you'll get completely toned without your strength training, just like how bodybuilders suck at  cardio because they don't add it to their routine. I hope you all have a great day and I'll talk to you soon!!
Grace

                                                  How About You?
                           
What is your favorite type of cardio? Leave you response in the comments!!!

Song of this post-

No comments:

Post a Comment